Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Visit to the Dentist

It is often stated that dentistry, on average, is the highest paid profession in Sydney. Well, it's definitely true. I had a root canal therapy on my molar a month ago and just finished my last session on Tuesday. One canal, 4 x-rays and a filling cost me $880 for that last session.

So I gave my insurance card to the secretary, swiped the card and made claims electronically. When she came back she told me that I need to pay the whole amount because I have already reached the insurance’s maximum limit of A$1,700. I talked to the dentist and asked him if there is something else we can do and he was nice enough to tell me not to pay at the moment and come back today.


So I came back today to settle the bill. He asked me to call the insurance company to check again and they have confirmed that I have used up the dental benefit already. Syempre, kinabahan na ako! I don’t want to pay $880 – it was too much!!!! I was hoping for a good discount, and I was praying for at least a 50% discount. Since I’m a “suki” na there, he just told me to pay $195. Di ko tuloy alam kung matutuwa ako or feeling ko he's been overcharging me all the while. Pero I was still thankful that I just need to pay that amount. I came back to the office and compiled the receipts for the 4 sessions I had and just fixing my molar totaled to more than $2500 or Php 105,000.00.

I am just grateful that I have an insurance to pay for these ridiculous fees. Kaya lang I still need a crown which the dentist told me will cost about $1,200.00. Well, that can wait till next year!

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

I can relate to this Chi!

Last week we took Yan to the dentist to have her front tooth fixed. Our bill was THB1,200! For a single tooth na halos wala na nga kasi sira na sya. The procedure lasted for like 20 minutes. I checked out their rates and super mahal talaga. Good thing we have insurance too or else, we might have to wait to get back to Manila to have our teeth fixed. Haha!