Tuesday, July 22, 2008

More on World Youth Day

It was a busy week last week both with work and the activities for the world youth day. Well, I didn’t really actively participate in the events and it was a shame that I didn’t join the papal mass on Sunday. I reckon that being out there for more than 8 hours will be too tiring for me but I still feel guilty for not going. Anyway, here are some pictures taken last week.

One of the unique artworks by young Australian artists. There were 33 of them displayed at Hyde Park. Pilgrims waited their turn to pose next to the statues.



The first ever "mirror-ball Jesus" statue. The designer has put 400 hours into cutting the glass and putting them together.








The pilgrims carrying their flags. When you passed by the Aussie pilgrims, you'd hear them shout, "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... Oi, Oi Oi!"







Pilgrims sang, clapped and moved in simple dance steps accompanied by bagpipes and tambourines



The Pope had a motorcade on Thursday. We were allowed by my boss to leave early so I headed to the Rocks to wait for the Pope. I waited for 2 hours and was a bit disappointed because the popemobile ran so fast that I only get to catch a glimpse of him.



Imagine the radiation from these microwaves, they were used to heat food for the pilgrims.



The concert at Barangaroo on Friday night.



We squeezed into the crowd so we can stay where the Filipino pilgrims were. It was so nice talking to them but it really made me feel old as they all called me "ate" and talked to me with "po" and "opo".



Cherrie, Cheryl and Cherry




It was so nice to see people from different countries, different nationalities get together with same beliefs. The atmosphere last week was so festive, noisy but definitely fun!

No comments: